.UK Domain Name Rules/Requirements
The following policies are applicable in case of .UK domain names:
1. Woktron Web Hosting currently supports registration services only under .CO.UK, .ME.UK and .ORG.UK extensions.
2. The maximum length of a .UK domain name is 64 characters (including the extension). The minimum length depends upon the extension under which the domain name is being registered:
- under .CO.UK/.ME.UK extensions - 6 characters (including the extension)
- under .ORG.UK extension - 7 characters (including the extension)
3. Allowed characters (excluding the extension):
- The domain name may consist of only the following: a - z, 0 - 9 and hyphen (-).
- The domain name may not have a hyphen as the first and/or last character as well as the third and fourth character (simultaneously).
The domain name may not consist of only 2 letters; however, it may have a letter and a number or 2 numbers.
Registration for ab.co.uk is not allowed whereas Registration of 1c.co.uk or 23.co.uk is permitted.
- The domain name may not be identical to any existing Second Level extension (CO, LTD, ME, NET, ORG, PLC, AC, GOV, MOD, MIL, NHS, POLICE, NIC, SCH) or any Second Level extension under .UK the creation of which has formally been announced by the .UK Registry. For example, Registration of org.co.uk or nhs.org.uk is not permitted.
- The domain name may not be identical to any existing Top Level extension (COM, NET, UK, EU, etc.) or any Top Level extension the formal approval of which has been announced by ICANN (the regulatory body overseeing the functioning of the Internet). For example, Registration of com.co.uk or eu.org.uk is not allowed.
4. A .UK domain name does not have any Money Back Period.
5. The .UK Registry does not support any type of domain name Locking/Suspension.
6. The .UK Registry does not support any kind of Bulk actions.
7. A .UK domain name displays only 1 Contact (Registrant) in the Whois Lookup.
8. Registrants who are non-trading individuals (those who do not use or plan to use their domain name for business, trade [including registration of domain names for monetization purposes] or professional transactions) can choose to opt out of having their Contact Details displayed in the Whois lookup.
This option can be enabled by the Registrant from within his Nominet control panel.
9. The Identity of the Registrant Contact cannot be modified for free.
Identity refers to:
- Name of the Registrant Contact, if the Registrant Contact is an individual
- Company Name of the Registrant Contact, if the Registrant Contact is a non-individual
10. You may renew your .UK domain name anytime from 6 months before its Expiry, upto 90 days after its Expiry.
11. There is no concept of a Redemption Grace Period in case of a .UK domain name.