Ruby on Rails is an open-source web framework that's optimized for programmer happiness and sustainable productivity. Written in Ruby, Rails lets you write beautiful code by favoring convention over configuration. The result is a web framework that allows you to transition from idea to implementation in a very short period of time.
- Base distribution: TurnKey 12.1 based on Debian 6.0.7 (Squeeze), TurnKey 13 based on Debian 7.1 (Wheezy)
- Smart backups (TKLBAM): automated backup and restore, with system migration capabilities
- Secure and easy to maintain: auto-updated daily with latest security patches
- Dynamic DNS (hubdns): associates your IP with a custom domain or the free *.tklapp.com domain
- Logical Volume Management (LVM): instead of installing to a fixed size partition, a Logical Volume is first created by default, and this may later be expanded, even across multiple physical devices
- AJAX web shell (shellinabox) - secure command line access from any web browser
- Web management interface (Webmin)
- Listens on port 12321 (uses SSL)
- Mac OS X themed
- Network modules
- Firewall configuration (with example configuration)
- Network configuration
- System modules
- Backup and migration (TKLBAM)
- Configure time, date and timezone
- Configure users and groups
- Manage software packages
- Change passwords
- System logs
- Tool modules
- Text editor
- Shell commands
- Simple file upload/download
- File manager (needs support for Java in browser)
- Custom commands
- Hardware modules
- Partitions on local disks
- Logical volume management
- Simple configuration console (confconsole)
- Displays basic usage information
- Configure networking
- First boot initialization
- Prompt user for passwords
- Regenerates SSL and SSH cryptographic keys
- Installs latest security updates, unless user chooses to defer this for later
- Uses GeoIP to automatically configure closest APT package archive for maximum network performance
- Command line power tools
- Smart, programmable bash shell completion: helps you get more done with fewer keystrokes.
- Support for $HOME/.bashrc.d shell hooks
- Persistent environment variables (see $HOME/.bashrc.d/penv):
penv-set pydoc /usr/share/doc/python2.6/html exit # later... cd $pydoc
- Automatic time synchronization with NTP
- SSL support out of the box
- Webmin modules for configuring Apache2, and MySQL.
- Uses Ruby Enterprise for improved performance and memory utilization
- Ruby on Rails configuration
- Deployment via Phusion Passenger for Apache (mod_rails)
- Preconfigured example Rails application located at /var/www/railsapp
- MySQL databases setup for production, development and testing.
- RubyGems package manager installed from upstream tarball
- APT and RubyGems are both package management systems and may potentially conflict.
- We recommend using RubyGems for managing Rails components (called gems), and APT for everything else.
- Essential build packages (build-essentials) are included to aid in building gems.
Upgrading RubyGems itself and Rails components (gems):
gem update --system gem update
See the Ruby on Rails docs for further details.
- Webmin, SSH, and MySQL: username root