Mozilla Thunderbird is a free, cross-platform email client developed by the Mozilla Foundation that offers easy setup and customization with a user-friendly interface. This article will explain the general setup of Mozilla Thunderbird.
Before trying to setup Mozilla Thunderbird, please ensure you have created your desired email address in the DirectAdmin control Panel. A detailed guide explaining how to setup your e-mail accounts can be found here
Mozilla Thunderbird is available for download at the following link:
- Start Mozilla Thunderbird and select from the top menu
Options > Account Settings > Account Actions
- On the bottom left of the resulting Account Settings page click
Account Actions > Add Mail Account
- On the Mail Account Setup window enter your first and last name, your e-mail address and password. Click Continue when done.
- On the next window your server information needs to be entered. We start with configuring the incoming server. Select POP or IMAP for your incoming server and use mail.domain.com for your incoming server hostname.
For POP3 accounts use port "110" for the incoming mail server and set SSL encryption to STARTTLS
For IMAP accounts use port "143" for the incoming mail server and set SSL encryption to STARTTLS
- In the Outgoing Server field, use mail.domain.com for your outgoing server hostname. Set Outgoing server port to "587" and set SSL encryption to STARTTLS.
- Verify that the information is correct by clicking Re-test and Click Done when succesful.
The differences between POP3 and IMAP are explained in this article.